Resource 4: Features of good cover design
Background information / subject knowledge for teacher
- Eye-catching – a potential reader is attracted to the ‘look’ of the cover.
- The title is carefully positioned on the page and stands out clearly.
- The title encourages readers to open the book.
- The words of the title and the name(s) of the author(s) are easy to read.
- The use of colours attracts the reader.
- The use and position of images (drawings or photographs) on the page attracts the reader and these images are ‘connected’ with the book.
- There is some ‘open space’ on the cover so that the design is not too ‘crowded’.