Section 3: Exploring pupils' ideas about healthy living
Key Focus Question: How can you use prior knowledge and group work to develop understanding of healthy living?
Keywords: group discussion; storytelling; writing; traditional healthy practices; prior knowledge
By the end of this section, you will have:
- used class and group discussion to find out what pupils already know;
- learned how to build on pupils’ prior knowledge;
- used local resource people to motivate pupils to learn.
We all learn best when we feel comfortable and safe. As a teacher, one of your key roles is to develop a supportive classroom environment where everyone is able to participate fully and feels they are respected and their ideas are listened to.
This section explores how to do this by looking at different ways of organising the class. You will help pupils learn how to treat each other with respect by:
- helping them understand their similarities and differences;
- asking them to share opinions and feelings;
- giving them tasks where they can ask each other questions and listen to the answers.