Self-Assessment Questions (SAQs) for Study Session 2
Now that you have completed this study session, you can assess how well you have achieved its Learning Outcomes by answering these questions. Write your answers in your Study Diary and discuss them with your Tutor at the next Study Support Meeting. You can check your answers with the Notes on the Self-Assessment Questions at the end of this Module.
SAQ 2.1 (tests Learning Outcomes 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3)
For the following nutrients, can you say why they are important and name one source? Are these foods micronutrients or macronutrients?
- Fats and oils.
Carbohydrates provide energy. They are found in many foods including bread, potatoes, maize and bananas.
Proteins are important for growth. They are found in meat, dairy products, fish and nuts.
Fat is important for energy. It is found in meat and dairy products, avocados, oils and nuts.
They are all macronutrients.
SAQ 2.2 (tests Learning Outcomes 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5)
Here are some questions members of your community might ask you. What answers would you give?
- a.A woman asks you which is better for her family; animal fats or fish and vegetable oils?
- b.A child is brought to the health centre with diarrhoea. What is the most important advice to give the mother?
- c.A man complains of constipation. What foods should you tell him to include in his diet?
- d.A young boy has a wound which is not healing. You need to make sure that his diet includes enough of one particular vitamin. Which vitamin is this and what foods will provide it?
- e.A mother says that her child doesn’t like dairy products. Does this matter? Give reasons for your answer.
- a.Fish and vegetable oils are better than animal fats, which are saturated fats.
- b.The child with diarrhoea needs to drink lots of water.
- c.The man needs to include fibre in his diet (e.g. cabbage, avocado, bananas, legumes and cereals), as this will help to deal with his constipation.
- d.Vitamin C, which can be found in fresh fruit, is particularly important for helping to heal wounds.
- e.Because dairy products provide calcium which is necessary for strong bones and teeth it is important that children have a sufficient amount in their diet. (Although some other foods also contain some calcium.)
SAQ 2.3 (tests Learning Outcome 2.6)
How important is it to include animal sources of food in a diet?
Animal sources of food are an important part of a balanced diet because they add proteins, fat and vitamins to a diet. In particular, iron is more easily absorbed from an animal than a plant source. However, very little meat is needed, and if food like beans, nuts and dairy products are included in the diet then a family can have a balanced diet, without including meat.
Summary of Study Session 2