You should discharge the child from OTP follow-up if the following criteria are fulfilled:
- For those who were admitted based on oedema: discharge if there is no oedema for two consecutive visits (14 days)
- For those who were admitted without oedema: discharge when the child reaches discharge target weight.
If the child fails to reach the discharge criteria after two months of OTP treatment, you should refer the child for in-patient care and undertake more detailed follow-up to investigate the cause.
On discharge make sure:
- Counselling is given to the mother or caregiver about child feeding and care
- Wherever the service exists, give a discharge certificate to the caregiver and make a referral to the supplementary feeding programme
- Each child is registered appropriately in the registration book on date of discharge.