Put the items listed in Box 4.1 into your bag, which should be specially prepared to carry supplies during home visits.
Box 4.1 Equipment for a postnatal home visit
- Salter scale to weigh the baby
- Blood pressure measuring apparatus
- Wrist watch or timer, to help you count the mother’s pulse and the baby’s respiration rate
- Soap for washing your hands
- A clean towel to dry your hands
- Vitamin A capsules
- Iron and folate tablets
- Tetracycline eye ointment
- Counselling card and screening card for PNC.
- Record book, referral form and pen.
You will be given the counselling and screening cards and referral forms for your area. There may be variations in the exact wording and appearance in different regions, but they all cover essentially the same points.