9.3.2 What to do if the woman has a fever
A fever can be caused by:
- Sickness — for example, flu or malaria
- An infection of part of the body — like a bladder infection, or an infection of the uterus
- A mild fever can also be caused by dehydration (loss of body fluids due to not drinking enough water).
If the fever does not come down in 8 hours, refer her to a health centre.
A high fever needs to be lowered right away. To lower a fever:
- Give 500 to 1,000 mg (milligrams) paracetamol by mouth every four to six hours
- Have her drink one cup of fluid every hour
- Wash her body with a cloth dipped in cool water.
9.3.1 How to check her temperature
9.4 Checking her pulse