Facilitation and Ethics in Participatory Video
1. The role of the facilitator in participatory video
Key characteristics to be a good facilitator:
- Clearly explain what you are going to do.
- Manage expectations: clearly explain the potential benefits.
- Get to know the participants: learn their names and backgrounds.
- Encourage participation: be aware of who is talking and help quieter participants to take part.
- Be an active listener: always listen and pay attention, even if someone is not speaking in your language. In this case you can engage a local translator.
- Be observant: be aware of group dynamics.
- Be positive: always encourage and support participants.
- Be neutral: make sure you facilitate all views.
- Behave according to local rules and customs: respect local customs including appropriate expressions and body language.
- Feedback and questions: ask for feedback and answer participant’s questions.