Activity and Course completion tracking
If you need to set up completion tracking of activities so that a Statement of Participation or Badge can be configured for your course, you need to switch on the Course completion tracking in the Edit settings. These checks and setup should only be done after everything else in the course is ready, including the quizzes. Some of this configuration (badges) can only be setup by someone with ‘manager’ permissions for a course. If you are the course ‘owner’ you will need to request the ‘manager’ role for your course from firstname.lastname@example.org (please provide the URL of the course for which you are requesting ‘manager’ permissions).
- Set up completion tracking
- Set up activity tracking
- Quiz activity settings
- Bulk editing the resource and activity completion settings
- Course activity completion
- Test the course materials and the quiz
- Set up the badge
- Final checks
- Enable the badge
- Set up the Statement of Participation
7. Set up the badge
Administration – Badges – Manage badges – add a new badge
- Complete the information about the badge. Please note that there is no formatting (font, numbering) within the badge system and URLs will not be live links. An example badge description is shown below.
This badge has been issued for participating in the activities in the free non-accredited [Course name] course. This free course supported demonstration of the following key learning outcomes:
You can review this course at the link [Course URL]. This badge does not represent formal credit or award. It does demonstrate participation in informal learning activity.
Add the badge criteria
- Click on the dropdown list and select ‘activity completion’
- The screen will appear showing the available activities. Check the boxes to choose the activities which count towards the badge.
- Set ‘this criterion is complete when’ to ‘all of the selected activities are complete’
- Add a description of what the learner had to do to achieve the badge into the description box.
- Click on Save
- Set up the message which the learner will receive when the badge is issued by clicking on the ‘message’ tab in the badge settings.
- A default message will appear in the ‘message body’ box. You can adapt this to suit your needs.
You have been awarded the badge "%badgename%"!
More information about this badge can be found at %badgelink%.
You can manage and download the badge from your Manage badges page.
- In a badge message, certain variables can be inserted into the subject and/or body of a message so that they will be replaced with real values when the message is sent. The variables should be inserted into the text exactly as they are shown below. The following variables can be used:
%badgename% - This will be replaced by the badge's full name.
%username% - This will be replaced by the recipient's full name.
%badgelink% - This will be replaced by the public URL with information about the issued badge.
- It is usually good practice to attach the badge to the message.
- Save changes
- DO NOT ENABLE THE BADGE AT THIS TIME – you will come back to this later.