How to add activities into your OER on OpenLearn Create
Activities, such as forums, quizzes and wikis enable interactive content to be added to the course.
The choice activity module enables a teacher to ask a single question and offer a selection of possible responses. Choice results may be published after students have answered, after a certain date, or not at all. Results may be published with student names or anonymously. A choice activity may be used
- As a quick poll to stimulate thinking about a topic
- To quickly test students' understanding
- To facilitate student decision-making, for example allowing students to vote on a direction for the course
The choice activity is likely to only be used in a tutor supported course.
Set up the Choice activity as follows:
Click on the dropdown arrow of the 'Add an activity' box and select 'Choice' from the list. Add a name and a short description which explains to the learners about the activity. You can display the description on the course page if you like.
You need to set the following Options:
- Allow choice to be updated (default is No)
- Allow more than one choice to be selected (default is No)
- Limit the number of responses allowed (default is No)
This option allows you to limit the number of participants who can select each choice option. When the limit is reached then no-one else can select that option.
If limits are disabled then any number of participants can select each of the options.
you need to specify the options that the participants can choose, one
option for each field. You can add more options if you have a long list.
If you want to restrict the Choice to a particular time period then you need to set this in ‘Availability’. You can also allow the learners to preview the available options before the choice is opened up for submission.
In the Results settings, you need to set the following:
- Do not publish results to students (default)
- Show results to students after they answer
- Show results to students only after the Choice is closed
- Always show results to students
Privacy for results (only activated if results are to be shown to students)
- Publish anonymous results, do not show student names (default)
- Publish full results, showing their names and choices
Show column for unanswered (default is No)
Include responses from inactive/suspended users (default is No)
You probably don’t need to touch the Common module settings, unless you are using groups.
You probably don’t need to touch Restrict access unless you do want to add a restriction.
Save and display.
You will not be able to view and test the choices how they appear to the learner unless you switch role to the learner view (if you have ‘course manager’ or 'teacher' role) or enrol a test account onto the course and give it the ‘reviewer’ role. In another browser login to your draft course using the test account and view the Choice activity to see how it looks to the learner.
As the course owner, you can view and download the responses. You can also delete selected or all of the responses.