4.8.1 Supporting carers towards the end of life and death of people with Parkinson’s
How can the health professional support carers through this process?
- Keep the carer involved in the care planning and about changes of medication, treatment and nutrition.
- Inform the carer of changes which may indicate the dying phase.
- Give the carer opportunities to share their concerns and fears.
- Arrange a referral for a carer’s assessment which focuses on their needs and may identify a need for respite, sitting service or even financial assistance.
- Recognise cultural and religious differences around end of life beliefs. Arrange a referral to the appropriate support network or chaplaincy services.
- Recognise the need to support the carer in bereavement.