Further and Higher Education

If an adult needs an assessment for college or university purposes, it is important that the assessment is carried out by the most appropriate person.

For students who are attending a University or College out with Scotland, the assessment will have to be carried out by an Educational Psychologist or a Dyslexia Specialist who holds a current Assessment Practising Certificate (APC). The same applies to students whose funding comes from an authority outwith Scotland. It is the adult’s responsibility to ensure they are assessed by the correct person in order to access any funding to which they might be entitled. However they may benefit from some guidance in this area and information can be found on the Dyslexia Scotland website or on their Helpline: 0344 800 8484.

Students who are funded by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) and who are attending a Scottish College or University, should speak with the Disability Adviser at their chosen educational establishment in the first instance – they can establish whether or not the student needs an up-to-date assessment. They may be able to carry out the assessment for the student. On the other hand, the student might be asked to obtain an assessment independently. In this case, any of the assessors on Dyslexia Scotland’s list will be appropriate.

2.3 Assessment Post School

Dyslexia in the Workplace