Resource 1: Problems of getting water
Example of pupils' work
Teacher resource for planning or adapting to use with pupils
- Long distances to travel to obtain water.
- Leaving younger children behind to get water.
- Pupils out of school to collect water.
- Is the water clean and safe?
- Size of containers to carry water and weight of water to carry over long distances.
- Time taken to obtain water stops people doing other things.
- The water collected may be contaminated by poor sanitation and animals’ use.
- Open to infection by water-borne diseases.
- Drought can restrict access to clean water.
- Lack of infrastructure e.g. pipes and storage containers to capture rainwater etc.
- Lack of systems to purify water.
- Lack of education about ways to use and keep safe natural water resources.
- No sustained access to water.