2. The inclusive teacher’s attitude and behaviour
At the end of this chapter, you will have enabled teachers to develop techniques to ensure that:
- teachers and pupils respect everybody’s individuality
- teachers and pupils use an inclusive language
- pupils start developing self-esteem
- pupils feel included in the learning community
- pupils feel valued
- teachers help promote pupils’ emotional well-being.
What type of teacher do you wish to train? Are the teachers with whom you work considerate about their own attitude and behaviour? The questionnaire Auditing an Inclusive Teacher’s behaviour invites teachers to reflect their own behaviour in the classroom and on how it impacts on the way pupils learn.
You could ask teachers to fill in this questionnaire at the beginning of their training and again at the end of the training period, so that they can reflect on the values they bring and what can help them to modify these values and their behaviours if necessary.
Before asking the teachers in training to fill in this questionnaire, fill it out yourself so that you can guide them.