- 50g (2oz) unsalted butter
- 75g (3oz) golden caster sugar
- 120g (4oz) Carolina rice / short grain pudding rice
- 900ml (1½ pints) whole milk
- 200ml (7fl oz) double cream
- 2 vanilla pods
- 25g (1oz) unsalted butter
- 50g (2oz) demerara sugar
- 2 bramley apples, peeled and diced
- pinch of ground ginger
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- pinch of cinnamon
- 50ml (2fl oz) milk
- Preheat the oven to 140°C / 285°F/ Gas Mark 1.
- Melt the butter and sugar in a thick-base ovenproof pan and stir until it reaches the colour and consistency of toffee.
- Add the rice. Continue cooking until the rice is puffy and the mixture has caramelised.
- Add the milk and cream, and stir well.
- Open the vanilla pods, scrape the seeds into the pan, and then throw in the whole pod. Bring to the boil and stir well.
- Put the pan in the oven and cook without a lid for 2 hours without stirring.
- Melt the butter and sugar in a saucepan.
- Stir in the apples and add the spices.
- Cook until the apples are beginning to soften and have started to caramelise.
- When cool, mash gently.
- Remove the rice pudding from the oven and stir to incorporate the skin.
- Remove the vanilla pods and add a further 50ml (2 fl oz) of milk.
- Serve the rice pudding with a dollop of spiced apples.