- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 - 6 chicken wings
- 3 chicken breasts, skinned and cut into pieces
- 12 king prawns, shell on
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4 vine tomatoes, diced
- 2 Romano peppers, deseeded and cut into long strips
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 300g (10½oz) Calasparra rice
- 4 strands saffron
- 1 litre (1¾ pints) hot chicken stock
- 50g (2oz) frozen peas
- 50g (2oz) frozen broad beans
- 200g (7oz) tinned cannellini beans
- 200g (7oz) mussels in their shells, cleaned
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 rustic baguette
- 38cm (15in) paella dish
- Put the paella dish on the hob over 2 rings and heat 2 tbsp olive oil on a medium heat.
- Sauté the chicken wings and breast pieces until light golden.
- Add the prawns and stir.
- Add the garlic, chopped vine tomatoes, peppers and paprika. Shake the pan allowing the contents to sizzle for a few seconds.
- Stir in the rice and sprinkle on the saffron.
- Pour in the hot chicken stock and shake the pan again.
- Reduce the heat and leave for 10 minutes without stirring.
- Stir in the peas, broad beans, cannellini beans and mussels.
- Season to taste.
- Simmer gently for 10 minutes, then add the cherry tomatoes.
- Cook for 30 minutes without stirring.
- Check the rice doesn’t dry out or burn on the bottom of the pan. Add a little boiling water if necessary.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes or until the rice has set.
- Serve with the rustic bread.