- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 - 6 chicken wings
- 3 chicken breasts, skinned and cut into pieces
- 12 king prawns, shell on
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4 vine tomatoes, diced
- 2 Romano peppers, deseeded and cut into long strips
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 300g (10½oz) Calasparra rice
- 4 strands saffron
- 1 litre (1¾ pints) hot chicken stock
- 50g (2oz) frozen peas
- 50g (2oz) frozen broad beans
- 200g (7oz) tinned cannellini beans
- 200g (7oz) mussels in their shells, cleaned
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 rustic baguette
- 38cm (15in) paella dish
- Put the paella dish on the hob over 2 rings and heat 2 tbsp olive oil on a medium heat.
- Sauté the chicken wings and breast pieces until light golden.
- Add the prawns and stir.
- Add the garlic, chopped vine tomatoes, peppers and paprika. Shake the pan allowing the contents to sizzle for a few seconds.
- Stir in the rice and sprinkle on the saffron.
- Pour in the hot chicken stock and shake the pan again.
- Reduce the heat and leave for 10 minutes without stirring.
- Stir in the peas, broad beans, cannellini beans and mussels.
- Season to taste.
- Simmer gently for 10 minutes, then add the cherry tomatoes.
- Cook for 30 minutes without stirring.
- Check the rice doesn’t dry out or burn on the bottom of the pan. Add a little boiling water if necessary.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes or until the rice has set.
- Serve with the rustic bread.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Monday, 26th June 2006
Last updated on: Wednesday, 1st November 2006
- Body text - Copyrighted: The Open University
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.