1. Approximately how many Chinese characters does one need in order to read and write with competence?
(a) 8000 (b) 2000 (c) 1000
2. Many Chinese words are very descriptive. What would be a ‘machine person’ in Chinese?
(a) robot (b) mechanic (c) punctual person
3. Which of these French figures was a famous painter?
(a) Émile Zola (b) George Sand (c) Eugène Delacroix (d) Marie Curie
4. Which of these French words, which are all fruit names, comes from the Arabic language?
(a) un abricot (b) une fraise (c) une pomme (d) une pêche
5. What is the name of the highest mountain in Germany?
(a) Großglockner (b) Zugspitze (c) Matterhorn
6. In German language, which of the following words is an article?
(a) der (b) sehr (c) gute (d) Pfirsich
7. Which of these Italian words is the odd one out?
(a) caffè (b) cappuccino (c) macchiato (d) latte
8. Which of these other European countries does Italy NOT share a border with?
(a) Austria (b) Germany (c) France (d) Switzerland (e) Slovenia
9. Which Latin American writer was honoured the Nobel Prize of Literature in 1982?
(a) Luisa Valenzuela (b) Gabriel García Márquez (c) José Donoso (d) Laura Esquivel
10. Which country does the tequila drink come originally from?
(a) Mexico (b) Perú (c) Santo Domingo (d) Cuba
11. Robert Recorde of Pembrokeshire, Wales invented which mathematical symbol?
(a) + “plus” (b) = “equal to” (c) – “minus” (d) x “multiplied by”
12. How many times greater is the population of sheep in Wales compared to the Welsh population of humans?
(a) twice (b) three times (c) four times (d) five times
So how do you think you've done? Expand to get all the answers...
1. (b) One needs approximately 2000 Chinese characters to read and write with competence.
2. (a) A 'machine person' in Chinse means a robot.
3. (c) Eugène Delacroix is a famous French painter.
4. (a) Un abricot, which means apricot, comes from the Arabic language.
5. (b) Zugspiteze is the name of the highest mountain in Germany.
6. (a) In German language, der, die and das are articles. Der is placed before all masculine nouns.
7. (d) Latte in Italian means milk. The other three are all coffee drinks.
8. (b) Germany doesn not share a border with Italy.
9. (b) Gabriel García Márquez from Colombia was honoured the Nobel Prize of Literature in 1982.
10. (a) The tequila drink comes originally from Mexico.
11. (b) Robert Recorde invented the mathematical symbol = "equal to".
12. (c) The population of sheep in Wales is four times greater than the Welsh population of humans.