Not suitable for the young, the elderly the pregnant or the ill as it contains raw eggs.
- 3 medium, fresh, free-range eggs, separated
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) caster sugar
- 500 g (1lb) mascarpone cheese
- 350 ml (12 fl oz) strong aromatic dark coffee, cooled
- 75 ml (2.5 fl oz) coffee liqueur
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) brandy
- 1 x 200 g (8 oz) pack of ready-made sponge fingers
- 25 g (1 oz) plain chocolate, finely grated
You will need 6 x 200–250ml (8–10 oz) serving glasses
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until pale and light (using an electric mixer makes this very easy). Whisk in the mascarpone cheese to combine.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl (and with a clean whisk or beaters) to form stiff peaks. Gently fold the whites into the mascarpone mix.
- Pour the coffee, coffee liqueur and brandy into a wide dish. Working in small batches, soak half the quantity of sponge fingers in the mixture for about 5 seconds each side. Divide them between the bottoms of the 6 serving glasses, breaking to fit and pressing down lightly if necessary.
- Using half the mascarpone mix, place a spoonful on top of the sponge fingers. Spread out evenly with the back of the spoon or a palette knife.
- Repeat with the remaining biscuits and mascarpone mixture. Cover and refrigerate until needed. (Leaving for about 12 hours will help the flavours to develop further.)
- Serve topped with grated chocolate.