Skip to content

Debate: Dumbing or loosening?

Updated Friday 3rd February 2006

Simon from the Open2 team wondered what forum members made of a change in a bank's language

Speech bubbles Copyrighted image Icon Copyright: Jupiter Images

Today, Barlcays Bank has announced that it's going to start steering away from using "jargon" and replace certain phrases with "more colloquial equivalents" - for example, the sign above their automatic cash machines are going to read "Hole in the wall" (Cashpoint, which is what everyone seems to call them, is a trademark term and can only be used by Lloyds TSB).


What do you think - is there a good argument for renaming Bureau DeChange "Travel Money", or is this just a cosmetic change?


For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.

Have a question?