My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Communication, management and your own context
In management the ability to communicate clearly and confidently is of key importance. This free course, Communication, management and your own context, looks at the role of language in management communication, and helps you identify areas of English language you may need to develop for work or when studying for a management qualification such as an MBA. It includes reading, writing, listening and speaking activities based on material related to the field of management, and encourages you to relate these to your own work context.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- identify language needs as a manager and as a management student
- understand how managers describe their business context
- describe managerial context in written and spoken form
- use some key management vocabulary
- learn about writing collaboratively.
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Communicating in English in the management context
- 2 Language as a management tool: the structure of texts
- 3 The production of workplace texts
- 4 Learning the specialised language of management
- 5 The role of the MBA in developing managers
- 6 Building your management network
- 7 Collaborative writing in business and management
- 8 Listening and speaking
- 9 Reflection on the activities in the course
- Keep on learning
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of participation
On completetion of a course you will earn a Statement of participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
8 hours study
Level 3: Advanced
Become an OU student
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.