Skip to content
Skip to main content

About this free course

Download this course

Share this free course

Supporting children's mental health and wellbeing
Supporting children's mental health and wellbeing

Start this free course now. Just create an account and sign in. Enrol and complete the course for a free statement of participation or digital badge if available.

1 Counselling and therapy

One of the issues to be aware of around counselling and all other talk-based therapy is how terms are used by a range of professionals across numerous different contexts. For example, teachers and support workers in schools and in the social care services may well use counselling micro skills very effectively (e.g. active listening and paraphrasing). However, they will not be trained counsellors or registered health professionals, which include specialists like clinical psychologists who have had extensive therapy training, often to doctoral level. In order to be an accredited counsellor or psychotherapist specialised in working with children, you need to have completed training approved by the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP). Other therapists, for instance practitioner psychologists (which include clinical psychologists), occupational therapists, and art therapists (specifically music, dance and drama therapists) have completed accredited training to at least degree level and are registered by the Health and Care Professions Council.