1 Identity and participation
You were introduced to Ellen, the CEO of a local family support project, Family Time, in Week 1. Listen to the following extract from Ellen’s story:
Listening to this extract, you should develop a good sense of the following, crucial dimensions of the leadership fabric that acts as context to the challenges facing Ellen:
- how Family Time is seen as an organisation;
- how Ellen is seen as a leader;
- how Family Time’s staff view their work and themselves in that work;
- how local government workers view their work and themselves in that work;
- the webs of practices employed by Family Time in its everyday work.
We summarise and capture these dynamics as related to two substantive dimensions of leadership: identity and participation. It is these dimensions that shape how we approach this course. This week will be dedicated to providing you with a primer on both.