1.4 Converting between percentages, decimals and fractions
In the next activity you’ll get some practice in converting between percentages, decimals and fractions. You may wish to do your working out on paper then put your answers in the boxes provided. Show fractions on one line using the ‘/’ symbol, so one half would be entered as ‘1/2’.
Activity 1 Converting between percentages, decimals and fractions
- a.Turn each of these percentages into a decimal and a fraction in its simplest form.
- i.Decimal: 10% = 0.1 Fraction:
- ii.Decimal: 25% = 0.25 Fraction:
- iii.Decimal: 50% = 0.5 Fraction:
- iv.Decimal: 125% = 1.25 Fraction:
- v.Decimal: 0.5% = 0.005 Fraction:
- b.Write each of the following fractions and decimals as percentages.
- b.Multiplying each fraction or decimal by 100% gives the following answers:
By no means did you have to do it this way, but don’t forget that your answer must include a per cent symbol.
Now it is time to turn your attention to using percentages and find out how useful these techniques you’ve just covered are.