2.1 Higher education – some options
The following activity aims to get you to start thinking about the sheer variety of places that provide higher education. Be aware of this variety, it is an important starting point to enable you to take your first steps into university.
Activity 1 Expectations about university
Have a look at the five pictures of English universities and colleges. Then answer the questions that follow in your notebook.
- Which pictures do you most associate with the word ‘university’?
- Which pictures can you imagine yourself in most easily?
- Which of these settings can you see yourself fitting?
- Why was a picture of a further education college included?
- Have you ever considered The Open University as an option?
This activity aimed to get you thinking about two important aspects of your first steps into higher education. The first focuses on the fact that there are many different types of university and that you may find it easier to imagine yourself in some rather than in others.
The second is that it’s important that you work out what is important to you. Only you know what your needs and circumstances are.