Week 3: Structure and functions of the voluntary sector
The voluntary sector has a specific place within the UK: it conducts many diverse activities and makes a vital contribution to society. It is important to consider the shape of the sector and how to understand its impact.
This week you delve more into the nature and make-up of the voluntary sector: first by looking at overall information about the sector and its contribution to the economy; second, by focusing on the differences within the voluntary sector (rather than between the sectors) and finally you will look at an example of research into gathering data (micro-mapping).
Week 1 introduced you to examples of the
In the following video the course author, Julie Charlesworth, introduces you to Week 3.
By the end of this week, you should be able to:
- describe the overall picture of the voluntary sector in the UK
- understand the different activities of voluntary and community organisations
- explain the contribution of the voluntary sector to the UK economy
- explain differences within the sector
- work with data in tables.