- Brookfield, S. (1987) Developing Critical Thinkers: Challenging Adults to Explore Alternative Ways of Thinking and Acting, Milton Keynes, Open University Press.
- Buzan, T. (2011) Mind Maps, Memory Techniques, Speed Reading, London, BBC Active/Pearson Education.
- Cottrell, S. (2011) Critical Thinking Skills, 2nd edn, London, Palgrave MacMillan.
- Craswell, G. (2005) Writing for Academic Success: A Postgraduate Guide, London, Sage.
- Swales, J. and Feak, C. (2004) Academic Writing for Graduate Students: Essential Tasks and Skills, 2nd edn, Michigan, University of Michigan Press.
Open University resources
- Critical thinking and reflection online resource (Learn Higher)
- Guide to writing essays and dissertations (Royal Literary Fund) Note: this resource also briefly considers some difference between writing in the Humanities versus the Sciences, including Social and Behavioural Sciences.
- Writing Development Centre online resources (Newcastle University)
- Advanced writing course (Coursera; developed by the University of California)