2 Defining the EU
The video in the next activity provides an introduction to the formation and development of the EU, it presents the view of one of the member states: Austria.
Activity 3 What is the EU?
Watch the video and answer the questions below. Bear in mind that as Croatia has joined the EU since filming, the video states 27 member states but there are now 28.
Transcript: The European Union explained
The EU Parliament
- What significant event led to the formation of the EU?
The end of World War II and the onset of the Cold War led to the formation of the EU.
- How many political factions are there in the EU Parliament?
There are eight political factions in the EU Parliament.
- How often does Presidency of the EU Council rotate?
The Presidency of the EU Council rotates every six months.
- What mistake does the video make about a bi-annual meeting?
The Commission does not meet biannually and it does not have summits.
- Can the EU Parliament initiate legislation?
No, the EU Parliament can't initiate legislation.
- To what percentage of draft Austrian legislation did the EU Parliament propose alterations?
The EU Parliament proposed alterations to 91 per cent of Austrian draft legislation.