Before you start the course, try completing the quiz (by clicking on the 'self assessment quiz' link below).
About this course
Welcome to the carbohydrate counting refresher module!
Carbohydrate counting is an essential skill to managing Type 1 Diabetes.
The aim of this module is to provide you with the information and skills you need to be able to work our how much carbohydrate (or carbs) are eating or drinking.
This module is broken down into the following topics:
- What are the benefits to carbohydrate counting?
- What is carbohydrate?
- Which foods contain carbohydrate?
- Which foods do not contain carbohydrate?
- What are quick-acting carbohydrate foods and drinks?
- Which carbohydrate foods are not likely to affect your glucose levels?
- Reading food labels
- Working it out 'per portion'
- Working it out by weighing your food
- Using household measures
- Other useful resources
Work your way through each topic to reach the self assessment quiz at the end. The quiz is a tool for you to check which topics you know well and which topics you may want to go over again.
The course will take approximately 60 minutes to complete in full.