Before you start the course, try completing the quiz (by clicking on the 'self assessment quiz' link below).
About this course
Welcome to the carbohydrate counting refresher module!
Carbohydrate counting is an essential skill in managing Type 1 Diabetes.
The aim of this course is to recap on the skills and knowledge needed to work out how much carbohydrate (or carbs) is in food or drink.
This course is broken down into the following topics:
- What are the benefits to carbohydrate counting?
- What is carbohydrate?
- Which foods contain carbohydrate?
- Which foods do not contain carbohydrate?
- What are quick-acting carbohydrate foods and drinks?
- Which carbohydrate foods are not likely to affect your glucose levels?
- What about sweeteners?
- Reading food labels
- Working it out 'per portion'
- Working it out by weighing your food
- Using household measures
- Other useful resources
- How does my insulin work?
The course will take approximately 60 minutes to complete in full.