Resource types enable almost any kind of web content to be inserted into the course.
- Book is a multi-page resource in a book-like format, with chapters and subchapters, useful for displaying lengthy information.
- File provide a downloadable Word document, a PDF, an Excel spreadsheet or PowerPoint slides as a course resource.
- Heading enables text and optional icons to be inserted among activities on the course page.
- Label enables text and multimedia to be inserted into the course page between links to other resources and activities.
- Page can display text, images, sound, video, web links and embedded code, such as Google maps.
- Subpage no longer available to add. Existing subpages are still visible in courses on the site.
- URL The URL module enables a teacher to provide a web link as a course resource.
1. Add a book
The book module enables you to create a multi-page resource for learners in a book-like format, with chapters and subchapters. Books, which are not interactive, can contain media files as well as text and are useful for displaying lengthy passages of information which can be broken down into sections. A book can be printed. A book may be used:
- To display reading material for individual modules of study
- As a handbook (such as a staff department handbook, a course guide for students, etc)
- As a showcase portfolio of student work (if the portfolio add-on module is enabled - it allows a teacher to set a structure and students to add portfolio contributions).
To add a book
- In the course space switch editing on.
- Click on Add an activity or resource under the main course home page or below an existing heading.
- The ‘add an activity or resource’ screen will appear.
- Under Resources select ‘Subpage’.
- Click on the ‘Add’ button
- The ‘Adding a new Book’ screen will appear.
- You can decide on chapter
formatting and custom titles in 'Appearance'.
- For 'chapter formatting' select the appropriate
option from the drop down list:
None - Chapter and subchapter titles have no formatting
Numbers - Chapters and subchapter titles are numbered 1, 1.1, 1.2, 2, ...
Bullets - Subchapters are indented and displayed with bullets in the table of contents
Indented - Subchapters are indented in the table of contents
Style of navigation
Images - Icons are used for navigation
Text - Chapter titles are used for navigation
- Normally the chapter title is displayed in the table of contents (TOC) AND as a heading above the content. If the custom titles checkbox is ticked, the chapter title is NOT displayed as a heading above the content. A different title (perhaps longer than the chapter title) may be entered as part of the content.
- Click on 'save and return to course’.
- Your book will appear on your course page. To edit the book, click on the title link.
- You will be prompted to add a new chapter. Give the chapter a title and paste in the content for the chapter.
- Click on 'save changes'
- The Table of Contents will now appear at the top of the left menu, showing the first chapter and the first chapter content will appear in the content area.
- To add another chapter click on the cross alongside the chapter. The 'Add new chapter' form will appear.
- Complete this form and save changes. This new chapter will now appear in the Table of contents list.
You can edit each chapter by clicking on the cog wheel symbol (edit chapter) beside the chapter in the Table of Contents.