What is a badged course?
Badges are a means of digitally recognising certain skills and achievements acquired through informal study and are entirely optional. They do not carry any formal credit as they are not subject to the same rigour as formal assessment; nor are they proof that you have studied the full unit or course. They are a useful means of demonstrating participation and recognising informal learning.
If you'd like to learn more about badges, you will find more information on the following websites:
- Hide tip)] – this information is provided by Mozilla, a leading provider of the open badges system. [Tip: hold Ctrl and click a link to open it in a new tab. (
- Digital Badges – this information is provided by HASTAC (Humanities, Arts, Science and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory), a global community working to transform how we learn, and particularly making use of technology.
Gaining your badge
To gain the digital badge for An introduction to dyslexia and inclusive practice , you will need to:
- Complete the short quizzes that you will find at the end of sections 1 and 5 of the module. These section quizzes are formative. They are really helpful in consolidating your learning but there is no pass mark.
- Complete the end-of-module quiz that you’ll find at the end of Section 7 and achieve at least 60%.
When you have successfully achieved the completion criteria you will receive your badge for An introduction to dyslexia and inclusive practice. You will receive an email notification that your badge has been awarded and it will appear in the My Badges area in your profile. Please note it can take up to 24 hours for a badge to be issued.
Your badge demonstrates that you have achieved the learning outcomes for the module. These outcomes are listed at the start of each section.
The digital badge does not represent formal credit or award, but rather it demonstrates successful participation in informal learning activity.
Accessing your badge
From within An introduction to dyslexia and inclusive practice module:
- Go to my profile and click on achievements. You will see the badge alongside the course title.
- To view the details of the badge, to download it, or to add it to your Mozilla Backpack, click on the badge and you will be taken to the Badge Information page.
- You can either download this page to your computer or add the badge to your Mozilla Backpack.
Sharing your badge
Badges awarded within OpenLearn Create can be shared via the Mozilla Backpack.
Downloading your badge to your Mozilla Backpack
You will need to create a Mozilla Backpack account.
When you have done this, click on the ‘Add To Backpack’ button, and you will be asked to login to Mozilla if you have not already done so.
Follow the instructions on the screen and your badge should be automatically added to your backpack.