Section 2: Unconscious bias
In this section we will look at:
- What is unconscious bias?
- Gender bias in science – how can it be explained?
- Impact of unconscious bias – how does it impact pupils experiences and subject choices?
- Confirmation bias and stereotype threat
- Unconscious bias and what we can do about it
Learning outcomes for section 2
By the end of this section you will:
- Understand the concept of unconscious bias
- Explore how unconscious bias and gender inequality influences teaching in relation to STEM, as well as pupil choices and experiences
- Have increased confidence in delivering gender equality and unconscious bias materials in classroom, including facilitating pupil conversations and learning in relation to subject choices and school experience