Course and badge information
By studying this course and meeting the required completion requirements you have the option to gain a statement of participation and a digital badge.
What is a statement of participation?
A statement of participation demonstrates successful completion of a free online course and your interest in the subject. It can be used to demonstrate your commitment to your ongoing continuing professional development (CPD). It does not usually carry any formal credit towards a qualification as it is not subject to the same rigour as formal assessment.
What is a badge?
Badges are a means of digitally recognising certain skills and achievements acquired through informal study and are entirely optional. They do not carry any formal credit, as they are not subject to the same rigour as formal assessment, nor are they proof that you have studied the full course. They are, however, a useful means of demonstrating participation and recognising informal learning.
If you’d like to read more about badges you will find more information on these websites:
- Open Badges – this information is provided by Mozilla, a leading provider of the open badges system.
- Digital Badges – this information is provided by the Humanities, Arts, Science and Technology Alliance (HASTAC), and Collaboratory, a global community working to transform how we learn, particularly by making use of technology.
- Organisations across Scotland are working together to develop open badges – read about who is involved and how badges are developing on the RSC Scotland website.
How to gain a digital badge and statement of participation for this course
To achieve a digital badge and statement of participation for studying Gender Equality in STEM you will need to be enrolled on the course and meet the following criteria:
- Have read each section of the module material.
- Have completed the quizzes including successfully passing the end of module quiz.
When you have successfully achieved the completion criteria you will receive an email notification that you have achieved your badge and a separate email notification that your statement has been awarded which will then appear in the achievements area in your profile. Please note it can take up to 24 hours for a statement to be issued.