Resource 2: Questions to use with book readings – first, second and third readings
Teacher resource for planning or adapting to use with pupils
Here are a few questions you could ask before reading a story with pupils and then examples of questions to ask when the reading has been completed. There are also questions after they have read the book another time or more.
FIRST READING SESSION
- Does the cover make you want to read this book? Why, or why not? What does the cover make you think the book is going to be about? How does it do this?
- Tell me about what you see on the first page of the story.
Ask questions about the development of the story and how the words and pictures contribute to this development.
- What did you like or dislike about this book?
- Is there anything that puzzled or surprised you about this book?
- Are there any patterns you have noticed?
- What is your favourite picture? Could you tell me what you see in this picture?
- Do you think the cover was appropriate (the right kind of cover) for what happened in the story?
- Do you find the words or the pictures more interesting? Do they tell the same story in different ways? Would the words still be good without the pictures? Would the pictures still be good without the words?
- Is the story told through the words, the pictures or both? Is it the same all the way through the book?
SECOND AND THIRD READING SESSIONS
(Note: These should be some weeks apart.)
- Have you thought about the book since we last read it?
- Would you like to read it again?
- Tell me what you remember most about the book.
Again, ask questions about the development of the story and how the words and pictures contribute to this development.
- Did you notice anything this time that you didn’t notice before?
- How do you feel about this story after reading it again?
- When you think about the book now, what is the most important thing about it for you?
Having read the book more than once, would you recommend that other pupils read it more than once with their teacher?
Taken from: Swain, C. The Primary English Magazine