This module will support your understanding and use of the SWOT Analysis Tool from the DIY Toolkit. You should look at thebefore working through the module. You will find it helpful to have a print out of the SWOT Analysis Template with you while you work through this module.
Knowledge of the internal strengths and weaknesses, along with the opportunities and threats – SWOT – facing a business, project or programme can paint a broad picture of its current status. This proactive analysis leads to a richer understanding and avoids relying on habit or instinct, helping leaders and managers to make informed decisions about the actions available to them.
Conducting a SWOT analysis can be useful for lots of contexts, including:
- problem solving
- competitor evaluation
- personal-development planning
- strategic decision making, such as entering a new sector or launching a new product
- a potential partnership
- an investment opportunity
- outsourcing a service, activity or resource
- staff-development planning
- developing contingency plans.
This module explains how to use SWOT analysis as a tool. As with many of the DIY tools, it is a subjective activity that would probably be completed quite differently by two people working on the same issue for the same organisation. Asking colleagues and partners to help with a SWOT analysis will always give a richer result than working in isolation.
After studying this module, you should be able to:
- describe what a SWOT analysis is and where you would use it (SAQ 1)
- explain the terms strength, weakness, opportunity and threat in the context of a SWOT analysis (SAQs 2 and 3)
- distinguish between the internal and external issues in a project and its environment using a SWOT analysis (SAQ 2)
- conduct and interpret a simple SWOT analysis (SAQ 3)
- SWOT Analysis Ebook (EPUB) 327.9KB
- SWOT Analysis IMS Common Cartridge 890.9KB
- SWOT Analysis Interactive ebook (EPUB) 327.3KB
- SWOT Analysis Kindle ebook 231.7KB
- SWOT Analysis PDF version of web pages 502.8KB
- SWOT Analysis RSS 94.2KB
- SWOT Analysis SCORM 891.2KB
- SWOT Analysis Word version (optimised for screen readers) 475KB
1 When to use a SWOT analysis