The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
BBC Inside Science - 2016/2017 series: Wolbachia, Mars Landing Follow Up, Asteroid Impact SiteThursday, 27th October 2016 16:30 - BBC Radio 4Dr Adam Rutherford and guests illuminate the mysteries and challenge the controversies behind the science that's... Read more: BBC Inside Science - 2016/2017 series: Wolbachia, Mars Landing Follow Up, Asteroid Impact Site
The Bottom Line: Autumn 2016: Selling your corporate babyThursday, 27th October 2016 20:30 - BBC Radio 4
Canals: The Making of a Nation: The Boat PeopleSunday, 30th October 2016 19:00 - BBC Four
Sleuths, Spies & Sorcerers: Andrew Marr’s Paperback Heroes: FantasyAvailable until Friday, 25th November 2016 23:00What set of writing conventions govern fantasy novels by the likes of George RR Martin? Andrew Marr explores... Read more: Sleuths, Spies & Sorcerers: Andrew Marr’s Paperback Heroes: Fantasy
All in the Mind - Autumn/Winter 2016: Tasers, Amnesia Museum, The dangers of diagnosing Donald TrumpAvailable for over a year
Inside The Commons: Reinventing The HouseAvailable until Saturday, 29th October 2016 19:00
Do independent enterprises really matter?Should we worry about smaller businesses and social enterprises being acquired by large... Read more: Do independent enterprises really matter?
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
The business of footballWelcome to this free course, The business of football, produced by The Open University working in... Try: The business of football now
Introduction to bookkeeping and accountingLearn about the essential numerical skills required for accounting and bookkeeping. This free... Try: Introduction to bookkeeping and accounting now
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Welcome to this new free course produced by The Open University. If you enrol and complete the course you can gain a digital badge and a Statement of Participation as a record of your achievement. Digital badges are a new way of demonstrating online that you have gained a skill. Schools, colleges and universities are working with employers and other organisations to develop open badges that help learners gain recognition for their skills, and support employers to identify the right candidate for a job.
Are you interested in mentorship or looking to develop your mentorship skills? In particular, are you involved in nurse mentorship? If so, then this free 8-week course is for you.
The course explores the principles and best practices underpinning mentorship. The authors draw on their experience in nursing to help you develop your knowledge, understanding and skills of mentorship practice that can be applied to many workplace environments.
For practising nurses, this course also contributes towards The Open University's Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) approved Mentorship programme, which you can register for online at The Open University website.
Facilitating learning in practice is a free course which lasts about 8 weeks, with approximately 3 hours' study time each week. You can work through the course at your own pace, so if you have more time one week there is no problem with pushing on to complete another week's study. You can also take as long as you want to complete it.
Enrolling on the course will give you the opportunity to earn an Open University digital badge. Badges are not accredited by The Open University (OU) but they're a great way to demonstrate your interest in the subject and commitment to your career, and to provide evidence of continuing professional development.
You can manage and download your digital badges online from My OpenLearn. In addition you can download and print your OpenLearn Statement of Participation - which also displays your Open University badge.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- identify relevant strategies to help you to apply tools and techniques of mentorship in practice
- review your workplace environment to identify opportunities and recognise constraints that may influence the provision of effective mentorship
- develop a reflective approach, which can be utilised in your workplace through the identification of your learning needs and development of a personal development plan
- reflect on how you would use this learning to be an effective mentor.
The Open University would really appreciate a few minutes of your time to tell us about yourself and your expectations of the course. We welcome your feedback and suggestions to improve the experience for other learners.
Creative Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Tuesday, 11th October 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Health, Sports & Psychology
- Latest pages tagged - KG005_1
- Latest pages tagged - mentorship
- Latest pages tagged - teaching
- Latest pages tagged - facilitating learning
- Latest pages tagged - nursing
- Latest pages tagged - assessment
- Latest pages tagged - badged course
- Latest pages tagged - skills for work: career
- Latest comments on this page