The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Genius of the Modern World: FreudFriday, 1st July 2016 02:40 - BBC FourIn the final episode, Bettany Hughes explores the world of Sigmund Freud. Read more: Genius of the Modern World: Freud
Thinking Allowed 2016: Good neighbours, The connection between sport and domestic abuseMonday, 4th July 2016 00:15 - BBC Radio 4
The Secret Life of Children's Books: Five Children and ItMonday, 4th July 2016 20:30 - BBC Four
Genius of the Modern World: FreudTuesday, 5th July 2016 23:00 - BBC Four
Genius of the Modern World: FreudAvailable until Friday, 5th August 2016 00:00In the final episode, Bettany Hughes explores the world of Sigmund Freud. Read more: Genius of the Modern World: Freud
The Big C & Me: Episode 3Available until Saturday, 30th July 2016 03:10
Old School With The Hairy Bikers: EPISODE 1Available until Saturday, 30th July 2016 02:10
Thinking Allowed 2016: Good neighbours, The connection between sport and domestic abuseAvailable for over a year
OpenLearn Live: 30th June 2016The actor who couldn't turn cinematic gold into political success; views of Trumpton from... Watch now: OpenLearn Live: 30th June 2016
Genius of the Modern WorldIn this three-part OU/BBC co-production for BBC Four, Bettany Hughes explores the life and works... Watch now: Genius of the Modern World
Can renewable energy power the world?Renewable energy sources are gaining an increasing share of world energy supplies. In the next... Try: Can renewable energy power the world? now
Introduction to bookkeeping and accountingLearn about the essential numerical skills required for accounting and bookkeeping. This free... Try: Introduction to bookkeeping and accounting now
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Welcome to this new free course produced by The Open University. If you enrol and complete the course you can gain a digital badge and a Statement of Participation as a record of your achievement. Digital badges are a new way of demonstrating online that you have gained a skill. Schools, colleges and universities are working with employers and other organisations to develop open badges that help learners gain recognition for their skills, and support employers to identify the right candidate for a job.
Are you interested in mentorship or looking to develop your mentorship skills? In particular, are you involved in nurse mentorship? If so, then this free 8-week course is for you.
The course explores the principles and best practices underpinning mentorship. The authors draw on their experience in nursing to help you develop your knowledge, understanding and skills of mentorship practice that can be applied to many workplace environments.
For practising nurses, this course also contributes towards The Open University's Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) approved Mentorship programme, which you can register for online at The Open University website.
Facilitating learning in practice is a free course which lasts about 8 weeks, with approximately 3 hours' study time each week. You can work through the course at your own pace, so if you have more time one week there is no problem with pushing on to complete another week's study. You can also take as long as you want to complete it.
Enrolling on the course will give you the opportunity to earn an Open University digital badge. Badges are not accredited by The Open University (OU) but they're a great way to demonstrate your interest in the subject and commitment to your career, and to provide evidence of continuing professional development.
You can manage and download your digital badges online from My OpenLearn. In addition you can download and print your OpenLearn Statement of Participation - which also displays your Open University badge.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- identify relevant strategies to help you to apply tools and techniques of mentorship in practice
- review your workplace environment to identify opportunities and recognise constraints that may influence the provision of effective mentorship
- develop a reflective approach, which can be utilised in your workplace through the identification of your learning needs and development of a personal development plan
- reflect on how you would use this learning to be an effective mentor.
The Open University would really appreciate a few minutes of your time to tell us about yourself and your expectations of the course. We welcome your feedback and suggestions to improve the experience for other learners.
Creative Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Tuesday, 12th April 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Health, Sports & Psychology
- Latest pages tagged - mentorship
- Latest pages tagged - facilitating learning
- Latest pages tagged - teaching
- Latest pages tagged - nursing
- Latest pages tagged - assessment
- Latest pages tagged - badged course
- Latest pages tagged - KG005_1
- Latest pages tagged - KG005
- Latest comments on this page