from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
More or Less - Polls, nuns, life partnersSunday, 3rd May 2015 20:00 - BBC Radio 4More or Less looks at the supposed increase in catholic nuns, polling data and the best way to find a life partner.... Read more: OU on the BBC: More or Less - Polls, nuns, life partners
Thinking Allowed: Post traumatic stress; managing beds in the NHSMonday, 4th May 2015 00:15 - BBC Radio 4
Wastemen: The Home FrontMonday, 4th May 2015 23:00 - BBC Two
Wartime Farm Episode 2Tuesday, 5th May 2015 11:00 - Yesterday
More or Less - Polls, nuns, life partnersAvailable until Wednesday, 27th April 2016 14:15More or Less looks at the supposed increase in catholic nuns, polling data and the best way to find a life partner.... Read more: OU on the BBC: More or Less - Polls, nuns, life partners
OU on the BBC: Frozen PlanetA stunning portrait of life at the poles, presented by David Attenborough Read more: OU on the BBC: Frozen Planet
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Ratio, proportion and percentagesFrom politics to cookery, ratios, proportions and percentages are part of everyday life. This... Try: Ratio, proportion and percentages now
Succeed with maths – Part 1[BETA] If you feel that maths is a mystery that you want to unravel then this short 8-week course... Try: Succeed with maths – Part 1 now
Planning a project
Gantt charts, critical path analysis, SMART objectives and estimation skills are just...
Gantt charts, critical path analysis, SMART objectives and estimation skills are just some of the topics covered in this unit to help you understand how to plan for a project. You will gain an appreciation of the range of planning techniques available and the situations in which it is appropriate to use them.
At the end of this unit you should be able to:
- develop plans with relevant people to achieve the project's goals;
- break work down into tasks and determine handover procedures;
- identify links and dependencies, and schedule to achieve deliverables;
- estimate and cost the human and physical resources required, and make plans to obtain the necessary resources;
- allocate roles with clear lines of responsibility and accountability;
- allocate tasks that are realistic and equitable and accommodate other work loads;
- establish appropriate and agreed meeting schedules, as well as reporting, control and communication methods.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 The planning phase
- 2 Taking an overview
- 3 Where do I start?
- 4 Identifying deliverables
- 5 Mapping tasks and activities
- 6 Scheduling
- 7 Estimating costs, revenues and intangible benefits
- 8 Drawing up the implementation plan
- 9 Summary
Planning a project
This unit will help you to develop the skills required when planning a project. You will examine the various components of a project plan, and be introduced to a number of tools and techniques to aid planning.
This material is from our archive and is an adapted extract from Fundamentals of Senior Management (B713) which is no longer taught by The Open University. If you want to study formally with us, you may wish to explore other courses we offer in this.
This is an extract from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Business Studies course units or view the range of currently available OU Business Studies courses.