Guide to diagrams
Diagrams allow us to think in new ways and approach problems differently....
Drawing diagrams is a very different type of communication than most of us are used to—but it allows us to think in new ways and encourages us to approach problems differently.
In this series of videos and animations, The Open University's Simon Bell and Kevin Collins explain why diagrams are so useful, and discuss 5 different diagramming types that you can use to help solve problems and explore issues.
With examples looking at environmental issues in the Mediterranean and beyond, you'll find out:
- How rich pictures can help you understand a problem or situation from different perspectives
- How spray diagrams show connections between related ideas and can begin to bring order to the 'mess' of a rich picture
- How to capture a snapshot of a situation at a specific time with a systems map to better understand its structure
- How you can understand the way these systems interact by drawing an influence diagram
- How you can use multiple cause diagrams to find the 'causal chains' responsible for why an event or change has occurred
When you've watched the videos, you can test your knowledge with a short quiz—which of the diagramming techniques would you use to explore 5 different scenarios?
Study with the OU
If this has inspired an interest in learning more, The Open University runs several courses and qualifications that include diagramming, the environment and systems thinking.
You could try out the 12 hours of learning available in this free study unit on Systems Diagramming.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Thursday, 2nd August 2012
Last updated on: Wednesday, 29th August 2012
- Body text - Creative-Commons: The Open University
- Image '' - Creative-Commons: The Open University
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages by Professor Simon Bell
- Latest pages by Dr Kevin Collins
- Latest pages by Professor Andy Lane
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Management
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Environmental Decision Making
- Latest pages tagged Systems
- Latest pages tagged Problem Solving
- Latest pages tagged Diagramming
- Latest pages tagged Understanding
- Latest comments on this page