Makes 8 burgers
- 45 ml (3 tbsps) vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 kg (2.2 lb) quality mature minced beef steak (not extra lean)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 20 ml (4 tsp) English mustard
- 20 ml (4 tsp) horseradish sauce
- 20 ml (4 tsp) tomato purée
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) soured cream
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped parsley
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Burger buns
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 15 ml (1 tbsp) of the oil in a small, covered frying pan and gently fry the diced onions for 4–5 minutes until softened but not coloured.
- Place the minced beef in a large bowl. Add the cooled onion and all the other ingredients (except the remaining oil). Season well and mix to combine.
- Divide and shape the mixture into 8 x 2.5 cm (1”) thick burgers. Refrigerate until needed.
- Brush a medium-hot griddle pan or barbecue with a little of the remaining oil before cooking the burgers for about 5–6 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Serve in lightly toasted burger buns, with ketchup and salad.