7 Summary of Week 7
Well done for completing Week 7!
This week, you have been looking at aspects of learning French that go beyond the study of words, grammar and pronunciation.
You have learned about the potential differences in etiquette you may experience: the gestures, attitudes and behaviours seen in everyday life and business settings. You have seen that when you learn French, you develop intercultural competence – increasing your sensitivity to the subtleties of acceptable behaviour/language, and recognition of cultural differences. You’ve also reflected on how this knowledge is used to develop competent translation skills.
You should now be able to:
- explain some differences in forms of address between French and your own language
- talk about some ‘do’s and don’ts’ when visiting France
- explain what is meant by intercultural competence
- recognise how translation skills are an important part of learning French
- understand that translation requires intercultural awareness and context sensitivity to convey meaning accurately.
You are nearly at the end of this eight-week course! Is there anything you want to look back at before you move on? In the final week, you will be pulling everything together and looking ahead. You will consider where learning French may lead you in the future, and what your next steps should be.
You can now go to Week 8.