This week you have examined an overall picture of the voluntary sector and considered why this might be important if you work or volunteer in the sector. You also explored different dimensions to assessing the size of the voluntary sector in terms of the total number of organisations, income and the paid and volunteer workforce. There was also discussion about monetary value and the monetary contribution of the sector – which will be developed further in Week 4. You explored the different types of voluntary activity and how to classify them. You then moved on to a discussion of differences within the sector by size, workforce and geography – and the week concluded with a focus on how to use micro-mapping.
In Week 3, you have learned about:
- why it is useful to examine an overall picture of the main features of the voluntary sector
- how to assess the overall size of the voluntary sector
- what the problems are in obtaining accurate data about the sector
- the contribution of the voluntary sector in monetary terms
- the different types of voluntary activity and how to classify them
- the differences within the sector by size, workforce and geography
- how to use micro-mapping
- how to read tables and work with numerical data.
You can now go to Week 4.