In this first week of the course you have worked on understanding the different aspects of roles in organisations, as well as your own role in different situations. You also saw how conflicts might arise due to different expectations and influences. In addition you have thought about how the voluntary sector includes many different organisations. One of the key aspects of all voluntary organisations is the role of volunteers, and you will explore this in more detail in Week 2.
In Week 1, you have learned to:
- describe what a role is and relate ideas about role to your own experience
- explain the different influences on a role
- understand what voluntary organisations do and how they differ
- locate your own organisation within the voluntary sector.
Having completed the first week you might like to look at the topics that are coming up in the rest of the course:
- Getting started – working in a voluntary organisation
- Working with volunteers
- Introducing marketing and communications
- Working with financial information
- Introducing fundraising
- Effective meetings
- Working in teams and partnerships
- Understanding stress and conflict.
Whether you are interested in the voluntary sector as a supporter, a worker or a volunteer the course aims to equip you with knowledge about voluntary organisations as well as provide you with skills you can use in practice.
Next week you will explore how organisations involve and manage volunteers.
You can now go to Week 2 [Tip: hold Ctrl and click a link to open it in a new tab. (Hide tip)] .