Week 1: Why employers value teamwork
Welcome to Week 1 of this badged course on how to work in diverse teams.
To begin, watch the following video in which Lynne Johnson introduces Week 1. Lynne works for the Careers Service at The Open University and has worked in adult career guidance for over 20 years.
As suggested in the, it is recommended that you record your responses to the activities throughout the course. As part of the course, you have been provided with an interactive toolkit in which you can keep your notes together. You will be directed to different parts of the toolkit at specific points throughout the course. However, if you’d prefer to use a notebook that is, of course, also fine.
By the end of this week, you will be able to:
- explain the difference between a group and a team
- understand different types of team
- start to identify some of the teams you have been part of
- identify some of the advantages and difficulties of working in a team
- consider how you can increase your experience of working in teams.
The Open University would really appreciate a few minutes of your time to tell us about yourself and your expectations for the course before you begin, in our optional start-of-course survey. Participation will be completely confidential and we will not pass on your details to others.