Introduction and guidance
This free badged course, Everyday English 1, is an introduction to Level 1 Functional Skills English and Level 1 Essential Skills Wales Communication. It is designed to inspire you to improve your current English skills and help you to remember any areas that you may have forgotten. Working through the activities and learning the tips and techniques outlined in this course will help you to communicate more effectively in everyday life and make progress in your career.
You can work through the course at your own pace. You may find it helpful to have at hand a notepad and pen, although you can make and save notes online within the course material.
The course has three sessions, with a total study time of approximately 48 hours. The sessions cover the following topics: speaking and listening, reading and writing. There are plenty of examples to help you as you progress, together with opportunities to practise your understanding.
The regular interactive quizzes form part of this practice and the end-of-course quiz is an opportunity to earn a badge that demonstrates your new skills. You can read more on how to study the course and about badges in the next sections.
After completing this course you should be able to:
- understand how to make a range of relevant and extended contributions to formal and informal discussions
- read and understand the main points and ideas in a range of straightforward texts
- utilise information contained in various texts and identify suitable responses
- construct a range of texts to communicate information, ideas and opinions
- utilise accurate spelling, punctuation and grammar to communicate clearly in writing.
Moving around the course
The easiest way to navigate around the course is through the ‘My course progress’ page. You can get back there at any time by clicking on ‘Back to course’ in the menu bar.
It’s also good practice, if you access a link from within a course page (including links to the quizzes), to open it in a new window or tab. That way you can easily return to where you’ve come from without having to use the back button on your browser.