1 What is an organisation?
An ‘organisation’ is a group of individuals working together to achieve one or more objectives. Although organisations have been defined differently by different theorists, virtually all definitions refer to five common features:
- they are composed of individuals and groups of individuals
- they are oriented towards achieving collective goals
- they consist of different functions
- the functions need to be coordinated
- they exist independently of individual members who may come and go.