My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
- Week 1
- 1.1 The origins of banking
- 1.1.1 Banking and the union of England and Scotland
- 1.1.2 The Bank of England and the growth of banking
- 1.1.3 Cheques and the emergence of modern banking
- 1.1.4 Building Societies
- 1.1.5 The emergence of the insurance industry
- 1.2 The London Stock Exchange
- 1.2.1 The growth of the Stock Exchange
- 1.2.2 The rise of the investment funds
- 1.2.3 The liberalisation of the financial services
- 1.2.4 Big Bang and the rise of the investment banks
- 1.2.5 Technological change
- 1.2.6 The impact of the growth of home ownership
- 1.2.7 The impact of an ageing and prosperous population
- 1.3 Regulation and regulatory failures pre-FSA
- 1.4 Week 1 quiz
- 1.5 Week 1 round-up
- Current section: References
About this free course
12 hours study
Level 1: Introductory
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.
Create your free OpenLearn profile
Anyone can learn for free on OpenLearn, but signing-up will give you access to your personal learning profile and record of achievements that you earn while you study.
Start this free course now. Just create an account and sign in. Enrol and complete the course for a free statement of participation or digital badge if available.
Managing my financial journey
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.