Week 2: What is autism like?
By now you should begin to have a fair picture of autism. This week looks in more detail at key characteristics, giving particular attention to difficulties and challenges, and also to strengths, and to how these may vary between individuals and groups.
Now watch the video in which Dr Ilona Roth introduces this week’s work.
By the end of this week you should be able to:
- formulate a more detailed picture of autism characteristics and the challenges they may pose for the individual and their family
- have insights into autistic strengths, including special skills and outstanding talents
- appreciate ways in which the profile of difficulties and strengths varies between different individuals
- understand that the autism spectrum encompasses striking IQ differences between individuals
- recognise the presence of accompanying problems such as epilepsy or dyslexia in some cases.