3.5.4 H — Help them to choose a method
- To help them choose a method of contraception, ask them about their plans and family situation. If they are uncertain about the future, begin with the present situation.
- Ask what the spouse/partner likes and wants to use.
- Ask if there is anything they cannot understand, and repeat information when necessary.
- When the chosen method is not safe for them, explain clearly why the method may not be appropriate and help them choose another method.
- Check whether they have made a clear decision and specifically ask, ‘What method have you decided to use?’