3.5.5 E — Explain how to use a method
After a method has been chosen:
- Give supplies if appropriate.
- If the method cannot be given immediately, explain how, when and where it will be provided.
- For methods like voluntary sterilisation the client will have to sign a consent form. The form says that they want the method, have been informed about it, and understand this information. You must help the individual understand the consent form.
- Explain how to use the method.
- Ask the client to repeat the instructions.
- Describe any possible side-effects and warning signs, and tell them what to do if they occur.
- Ask them to repeat this information back to you.
- Give them printed material about the method to take home if it is available.
- Tell them when to come back for a follow-up visit and to come back sooner if they wish, or if side-effects or warning signs occur.