Summary of Study Session 2
In Study Session 2, you have learned that:
- ‘Disability’ refers to a functional limitation as a result of impairment and the interaction with barriers in the environment.
- Impairment is the loss of a function of the body. Types of impairment can be categorised as physical, sensory, psychosocial and intellectual.
- There are several types of barrier that cause exclusion including physical, social/attitudinal, institutional and communication barriers.
- Care is needed when talking to or about people with disabilities. Disrespectful language can cause offence and can be a barrier to full participation.
- Estimates of the number of people with disabilities in Ethiopia vary but there are at least one million and probably more.
- Collecting data about people with disabilities is challenging. The Washington Group’s short set of six questions are standard questions that provide comparable data about disability.