11.2 Postpartum and post-abortion family planning services
You will be involved in a variety of activities when you help women or mothers in their post-abortion or postpartum period (see Box 11.1). Your primary activity is to discuss family planning needs and to ensure protection against sexually transmitted diseases. You can also give information and counselling about short- and long-term method choices, their effectiveness, and side effects. Once a woman has reached an informed choice, you should give her, or refer her for the relevant family planning method. Do not forget to make a follow-up appointment.
Box 11.1 Important points about postpartum and post-abortion family planning
It should include the following:
- Discussion about contraceptive needs, taking into account reproductive goals and protection against sexually transmitted infections.
- Information and counselling about methods, their effectiveness, and side effects.
- Short- and long-term contraceptive method choices.
- Assurance of contraceptive re-supply.
- Access to follow-up care.