Module 1: Personal development – how self-esteem impacts on learning
Section 1: Ways to explore who pupils are
Key Focus Question: How can you help pupils explore who they are in ways that are sensitive and stimulating?
Keywords: class management; questioning; group work; thinking; data gathering; respect; sensitivity
By the end of this section, you will have:
- developed your skills in organising the class in ways that will help pupils show respect for each other;
- developed your skills in asking questions to encourage thinking;
- used different ways to gather data to help pupils discuss who they are.
We all learn best when we feel comfortable and safe. As a teacher, one of your key roles is to develop a supportive classroom environment where everyone is able to participate fully and feels they are respected and their ideas are listened to.
This section explores how to do this by looking at different ways of organising the class. You will help pupils learn how to treat each other with respect by:
- helping them understand their similarities and differences;
- asking them to share opinions and feelings;
- giving them tasks where they can ask each other questions and listen to the answers.
1. Organising pupils in groups and pairs